In the year of 1579 Ludwig Welser bought the existing building including the land in Holzhausen (between Landsberg am Lech and Buchloe) and extended it into a stately nobleman domicile. Ludwig Welser descended from the well-known patrician family Welser, merchants from Augsburg and Nuremberg and, with the agreement of former Kaiser Rudolf II., he named the building “Castle Rudolfshausen”.
After Ludwig’s early death the castle went over to the Fugger family, then to the monastery ‘Heilig Kreuz’ in Augsburg and from there to the monastery of Steingaden in 1643. Since then the castle served as presbytery. After secularization in 1803 the castle was moved into a parochial benefice foundation and continued to be used as presbytery.
By means of a reform in 2009 the parish of Holzhausen was dissolved and migrated to the parish of Igling. For two years the building was vacant. In autumn of 2011 the castle found a new tenant: Helene Walterskirchen, author from Munich, publicist and culture mentor, lives and works in the historical building together with her daughter.
You find further historic information on the Castle Rudolfshausen and his builder Ludwig Welser by clicking here.